Fort Riley officials say they have adjusted entry procedures at the base after increased security measures clogged Interstate 70 earlier this week.
The U.S. military raised the security status for all bases in North America on Friday. Long lines at the Henry gate entrance on Monday stretched onto I-70 in both directions and brought interstate traffic to a standstill.
Base spokesman Bob Everdeen says Fort Riley is trying to balance the need to protect both the fort and people driving on the interstate. He says lines to enter the post were back to normal on Tuesday morning.
Officials declined to discuss procedures that were changed because of the elevated security status.
Associated Press Information from: The Manhattan Mercury