Free lunches will be available again this summer for children in Salina who are out of school, beginning this week on Tuesday.
According to USD 305, the free summer meal program this year begins on Tuesday and runs through July 20th.
Crispitos will top the menu on the first day and then diners will cool down with a surprise dessert.
Things to know about the summer lunch program:
- Lunches will be served from May 29 through July 20 from 12:00 -12:30 p.m. at all sites. All sites will be closed on July 4.
- Breakfast will be served only at Cottonwood Elementary School and Central High School from 7:45-8:15 a.m. from May 29 through June 29.
- FREE meals are for all children ages one through eighteen. Adults are welcome to eat lunch for $3.75 and breakfast for $2.00. There are no income or registration requirements to receive meals.
- One day each week volunteer readers will be at Heartland Early Education (Monday), Schilling Elementary (Tuesday), Sunset Elementary (Wednesday) and Oakdale Elementary (Thursday). Youth will receive a free book to take home.
- Cottonwood Elementary – 215 S. Phillips, east side entrance
- Heusner Elementary – 1300 Norton, north doors by art room
- Oakdale Elementary – 811 E. Iron, west doors off Penn Street
- Schilling Elementary – 3121 Canterbury, side door by gym
- Sunset Elementary – 1510 W. Republic, south door to cafeteria
- Heartland Early Education – 700 Jupiter, north double doors off Venus
- Central High School – 650 E. Crawford, south student entrance
- Church of the Cross – 1600 Rush, southeast door
- Salvation Army – 1137 N. Santa Fe, front door
Each year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture partners with local organizations to provide free meals to children when school is out for the summer. For more information about the national Summer Food Service Program, visit www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/summer. Salina USD 305 and Heartland Early Education partner with the Salvation Army, Sunrise Presbyterian Church, Church of the Cross and Salina Area United Way.
The summer menus are available online at www.usd305.com, by following the Summer Food link.