A small fire in the ventilation system prompted the evacuation of one of Salina’s largest employers overnight.
Saline County Undersheriff Roger Soldan says that firefighters were called to the Salina Exide Facility at 413 E. Berg Road at around 11:30 Wednesday night to the report of a fire in the duct work in the building. As a precaution, the facility was evacuated.
Salina Fire Marshall Roger Williams tells KSAL News that it was a small fire, contained to ventilation in the north side of the building. They were able to keep it from spreading. The fire was under control by around 12:30 Thursday morning. Employees were allowed back in at around 1:00 to resume work.
Williams says that there was only minimal damage, and there were no injuries.
Exide is one of the largest employers in Salina. With operations in more than 80 countries the company is one of the world’s largest producers and recyclers of lead‐acid batteries.