Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism game wardens, Kansas Highway Patrol troopers and county sheriff office deputies will conduct joint highway checkpoints at various locations on Sunday, Nov. 12, 2017. Upland bird, deer and migratory bird seasons will be underway, and these checkpoints are intended to help enforce state and federal wildlife laws, as well as state driver’s licensing laws.
Depending on the location, KHP troopers or county sheriff?s deputies will operate the first stage of the checkpoints to be sure drivers are properly licensed. If a driver does not have a valid license, appropriate enforcement actions will be taken. Travelers should not expect major delays from this portion of the checkpoints.
Occupants of vehicles in the first check lane will be asked if they are hunters or are transporting wildlife. Travelers answering yes in either case will be directed to a nearby KDWPT check lane where game wardens will check for required licenses and permits, count the game and gather biological, harvest, and hunter success information. This portion of the checkpoints should also cause minimal delay.
The following locations may be used as weather conditions and staffing allow:
Central Kansas game wardens and KHP troopers-
- US-81 near milepost 161, Ottawa County
- US-56 & K-46 intersection, McPherson County
- K-156 near milepost 165, Ellsworth County
- US-36 & K-14 intersection, Jewell County
- K-156 & US-56 intersection, Pawnee County
- US-281 & K-4 intersection, Barton County
Southeast Kansas game wardens, KHP troopers, Woodson and Greenwood county sheriff’s deputies-
- US-54 rest area near the Greenwood/Woodson county line, Greenwood County
- US-400 rest area near the Greenwood/Butler county line, Greenwood County
- US-75 rest area north of Yates Center, Woodson County
Western Kansas game wardens and Ford County sheriff’s deputies-
- US-50 near milepost 127.5, Ford County
- US-400 near milepost 127.5, Ford County
- US-400 near milepost 139, Ford County
- US-54 near milepost 88, Ford County
- US-283 near milepost 37, Ford County
Copyright © Rocking M Media, 2017. All Rights Reserved. No part of this story or website may be reproduced without Rocking M Media’s express consent.