Patrol Planning Weekend RAVE

This weekend, troopers across the state of Kansas will be mobilizing for a statewide Roving Aggressive Violation Enforcement, or RAVE, to address the increase in fatal crashes. The enforcement will be held Friday and Saturday.

A RAVE is a saturation patrol that takes place when many troopers converge on a specific area looking for any drivers who are violating Kansas law. The goal is to help reduce the number of impaired drivers on the roads, and to encourage safe driving practices throughout the area. RAVEs are funded by an Impaired Driving Deterrence Program (IDDP) grant, courtesy of the Kansas Department of Transportation Bureau of Traffic Safety.

“The state of Kansas, along with many other states, is experiencing an increase in traffic fatalities this year,” said Chris Bortz, KDOT Traffic Safety Manager.  “In order to reverse this alarming trend, buckle up, every trip, every time, never drive impaired, obey the speed limit, and eliminate distractions. On the Drive to Zero, you are in the driver’s seat.”

This enforcement is geared towards curbing moving hazardous violations, such as stop sign and lane use violations.

“Troopers will be out statewide actively enforcing these violations as a deterrent for impaired driving,” said Patrol Public Information Officer, Lieutenant Adam Winters. “It’s our job to make our highways as safe as possible, and we are dedicated to helping our travelers arrive home safely to their loved ones.”

Motorists can contribute to a safer traveling experience by using the following tips:

  • Always wear your seat belt, and properly secure children in the appropriate child safety seats.
  • If you’re involved in a non-injury crash that involves non-hazardous materials, move your vehicle out of the lane of traffic to protect yourself, as well as other motorists.
  • Always make sure you designate a sober driver for a safe ride home from festivities.
  • It is work zone season, and the Patrol reminds you that the posted speed limit in the zone is the speed limit 24/7, whether you see work crews and equipment or not.
  • Move over for law enforcement, other emergency vehicles, and road maintenance crews.
  • If you are on a Kansas highway and need assistance, you can call the Patrol at *47 (*HP), or Turnpike at *582 (*KTA).