Salina, KS

Now: 32 °

Currently: Cloudy

Hi: 32 ° | Lo: 31 °

BREAKING NEWS

Homeless Man Loses Everything In Fire

KSAL StaffDecember 17, 2014

A homeless amputee has lost nearly everything he owned — including his prosthetic legs — after a candle he was using to stay warm started a fire in a Topeka storage facility.

The blaze, reported at 12:42 a.m. Tuesday, caused $135,000 in damage at AAA Self Storage. A local advocate for the homeless says the man had been living in the storage units for two months.

Advocate Justyn Hosman says the man lost “everything but himself and his wheelchair.” Hosman says he saw a melted prosthetic leg at the fire scene.

He says the unidentified man lost his legs several years ago when he was struck by a train near the Topeka Rescue Mission.

___

Associated Press information from: The Topeka Capital-Journal

Copyright © Rocking M Media, 2019. All Rights Reserved. No part of this story may be reproduced without Rocking M Media’s express consent.

CATEGORIES :

COMMENTS

STAY IN TOUCH!

GET OUR APP!

LATEST POSTS

Ell-Saline Boys Win; Adva...
January 17, 2019Comments
State Ready to Help Furlo...
January 17, 2019Comments
Fire Damages Salina Apart...
January 17, 2019Comments
Motel Stick-Up
January 17, 2019Comments

LATEST TWEETS

Read all tweets
© 2007 - 2019 - EEO  - KDJM  - KABI  - KSAL-AM  - KSAL-FM  - KVOB  - KYEZ  - KZUH