A fire in a carport damages two vehicles and kills over a dozen chickens.
Saline County Sheriff Glen Kochanowski tells KSAL News that Saline County Rural Fire District #3 responded to the blaze that began around 6pm Friday night in a metal carport located at 104 S. Jewett Street in Brookville.
Homeowner Eric Riedel told deputies that he looked out his window and noticed a glow around the carport where he keeps chickens, ducks, goats and two vehicles.
The fire, which remains under investigation is blamed for killing 15 chickens and causing heat damage to a 2002 Ford Explorer and a 1997 Nissan sedan.
Riedel told investigators he had a heat lamp in the structure but it was unplugged.
Deputies say an alfalfa bail could have caused the fire that’s linked to $4,000 in loss and damages.