Pearson VUE, a global online testing and certification company, has approved Salina Area Technical College as an Authorized Testing Center.
“This means people in the Salina area who are working on their personal and professional development can take their certification tests here, instead of having to go to one of the other Pearson VUE test centers around the state,” said Stephani Johns-Hines, Vice President of Instruction at Salina Tech. “This will prove to be a huge benefit to local individuals and employers.”
Other Pearson VUE test centers in Kansas are in Hays, Manhattan, Hutchinson, Wichita and Topeka.
Pearson VUE contracts with numerous companies, government agencies and organizations to provide online testing for people to earn various certifications and licenses.
Among the companies and organizations are:
- Abobe Systems, which provides certifications in many of its software packages, including Photoshop and InDesign;
- The American Health Information Management Association, which provides certifications such as Registered Health Information Manager;
- IBM, for certifications such as IBM Certified Database Administrator;
- Cisco, for its Certified Network Professional and other certifications;
- The Kansas Real Estate Commission, for licensing exams;
- The Kansas Insurance Commission, for licensing exams;
“There are a many people in this community who will benefit from having these testing services here in Salina,” Johns-Hines said. “By providing this service, we’re strengthening our bonds with the community.”
To become an Authorized Testing Center, Salina Tech had to meet the Pearson VUE standards, including the ability to monitor test-takers throughout the length of the test, both in-person and via video, provide a quiet space for the testing, and have a robust computer network.
Johns-Hines said Salina Tech is also working on having the college’s testing center approved for various tests through the U.S. Military, such as the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), the Defense Activity for NonTraditional Education Support (DANTES) and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).
Story by Mike Strand / Salina Area Technical College