No one was injured after a John Deer baler caught fire in a field north of Salina.
The Saline County Sheriff’s Office reports that Jeff Jackson was using the machine in the 5200 block of Streckfus Trail on Wednesday afternoon around 4:20pm when he smelled smoke then saw an active fire.
Jackson told deputies he was unable to extinguish the flames on the baler with a pump bottle and the fire spread to the grass field.
Rural Fire District #7 responded to the scene. A bearing inside the machine may have been the point of ignition in the blaze.
The baler which is valued at $16,000 and owned by Gary Burt is listed as a total loss.