Health officials are investigating a central Kansas man’s death from a virulent form of meningitis.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said in a news release that laboratory tests have confirmed that the death was the result of meningococcal meningitis, an acute infection of the bloodstream caused by a bacteria known as Neisseria meningitides.
Health officials are working to identify people exposed to the man, who was from Barton County. The bacteria can be spread through close contact – such as sharing a drinking glass, kissing or living in close quarters – with an infected person.
Symptoms include fever, intense headache and stiff neck.]