It took a woman from Lansing just 8 clues and 3 days to find the Smoky Hill River Festival Medallion.
Sheri Chase Jones found the Medallion at around 10:30 Sunday morning. It was a small bottle with a note in it, dangling from a storm grate in the downtown alley behind Ad Astra Books and Coffee.
Chase Jones tells KSAL News after getting off work Friday she traveled to spend the weekend hunting for the Medallion with her son, who lives in Salina. She said the very first clue led her to the area of Santa Fe and Ash, the area where she eventually found her treasure.
Chase Jones has been a participant in the quest dating, back to 2012. Even after she moved to Lansing in 2016 she continued to participate.
Chase Jones receives:
- $1,000 in cash
- $2,000 in Festival Gift Certificates, to be used for purchases in the Fine Art and Craft Show or Art/Craft Demonstration Area, during the Festival weekend
- Four complimentary Festival admission wristbands
- One on-grounds Festival parking pass (weather permitting)
- An invitation for four to attend the evening PREMIERE Art Patron Party on Thursday, June 8th
- Four Smoky Hill River Festival t-shirts
Here were the 8 clues:
1. A measuring cluster.
2. Some are not sighted.
3. Hanging down.
4. Beside a trail.
5. A great location.
6. Refuse containment.
7. Power Changes Here.
8. First command to Dooley.
All Clues Explained:
- A measuring cluster – group of gas/electrical
- Some are not sighted. – Not sighted=Blind-Blind alley
- Hanging down – Misdirection!
- Beside a trail – Alley parallels Santa Fe
- A great location -great-Grate
- Refuse containment – Trash corral
- Power changes here – Transformer nearby
- First command to Dooley – “Hang down your head, Tom Dooley.” Look down
- Add three to get nine. -1+3+5-135 is Ad Astra’s address
- Not by crook. – Hook
- A kind of cat. – Alley cat
- Between tree and metal -Ash and Iron streets
- Fish nemesis – Hook
- When you’re feeling low -You can always go Downtown-Petula Clark
- Rectangle row – Grate
- A Carolina creature – Bull Durham mural
- Bound and hot goods – Books and coffee-Ad Astra
- Lots of slots – Grate
- Where to find a sinker -With “hook” and “line”
- Rooms and waves -Townsite building-apts. & KSAL (radio waves)
- Near reds and yellows – Red and yellow paint marks
- Two red verticals- On the back of Townsite building
- Look for YR- YR=Wire
- Hanging around a bar- Placement of medallion
- Pull up and pull out- How to retrieve Medallion