Fire Destroys New Cambria Home

A gas powered generator is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a home and killed 3 dogs in New Cambria late Monday night.

Saline County Undersheriff Brent Melander tells KSAL News that just before midnight, crews from RFD #5 were called to fight a residential fire at 100 E. 1st Street in New Cambria. RFD #7 assisted as well.

Melander says gusty winds from a storm had knocked the power out at the home of 63-year-old Jerry Hedges, Kathene Hedges, 54 and Carol Weiss, 71. A generator was brought into the home to run a number of electrical items before the three went to sleep in second floor bedrooms.

A short time later the lights began to dim and the smoke detector sounded. Kathlene walked downstairs and discovered a small fire in the exhaust system of the generator.

She was able to wake Jerry and Carol and the three escaped the growing blaze.

Three of their four dogs perished in the fire that completely destroyed the home.

While Kathene and Carol both suffered from breathing smoke, Jerry Hedges was treated for smoke inhalation by EMS at the scene but did not go to the hospital.

The house is valued between $170,000 to $180,000.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist with clothing and shelter for the family.


Courtesy Saline Co. Sheriff’s Office

Courtesy Saline Co. Sheriff’s Office