A 24-year-old man received an electrical shock in a farming accident south of Salina Saturday afternoon. First responders were called to the area of Ohio Street and Farrelly Road at around 1:00 in the afternoon.
Saline County Sheriff Deputy Chad Flesher tells KSAL News that a crew working in a field was just coming back from lunch. They were preparing to unload grain into a semi trailer.
A tractor was pulling a grain cart, preparing to unload the grain into the semi. A shaft on the cart came into contact with an overhead power line.
One of the workers noticed that a wheel on the tractor was on fire. Not realizing that it was in contact with a hot wire, 24-year old Zachary Short came into contact with the machinery as he came to help put the fire out.
Short was in contact with the electrically charged machinery for a short period of time. After he fell to the ground, other workers were able to use a plastic shovel to move him away from the electrical current.
Short, who was conscious and alert at the scene, was transported by EMS to Salina Regional Health Center. He was then flown to a Wichita hospital. Further details on his condition were not immediately available.
Fire crews had to wait for Westar Energy crews to arrive and disconnect power before fighting the fire.
The tractor and the implement it was pulling are a total loss.
ORIGINAL: First responders are at the scene of a farming accident.
A tractor pulling a farm implement is on fire, and powerlines are down along Ohio Street, just south of Farrelly Road. Firefighters had to wait for Westar Energy crews to disconnect power before fighting the fire.
We will have more details when they are available.