A male black bear at the Great Bend zoo has died.
The bear — named Clyde — was euthanized Sunday. The bear had undergone emergency surgery Thursday. But zoo director Scott Gregory commented at the time that the procedure was risky and Clyde’s condition was critical.
Clyde’s problem stemmed from a procedure done seven years ago when an issue with his reproductive system required surgery. But when Clyde required emergency surgery in July, scar tissue from the previous surgery became infected. His body then became toxic because he refused to eat or drink.
Yet another surgery was required in July, and Clyde’s condition had improved considerably by the end of the month. But his temporary recovery ended last week.