Salina To Participate In Summer Meals Day
KSAL Staff - July 7, 2015 8:30 am
Salina will participate Wednesday in a statewide event. July 8th is Summer Meals Day in Kansas. The goal is to serve a healthy lunch to 50,000 kids.
Kansas Appleseed, Kansas Kids Table, the Kansas Health Foundation, and the Kansas Department of Education invite Kansas families to come check out lunch at their nearest Summer Food Service Program site. July is often a time that meal participation decreases. The summer months can be very busy for families and, organizers say that they want families to know that in many communities there are summer meal options available throughout summer.
The Free Summer Meal serving sites in Salina are:
• Heusner Elementary, 1300 Norton, northwest doors by art room
• Oakdale Elementary – 811 E. Iron, west doors off Penn Street
• Schilling Elementary – 3121 Canterbury, side door by gym
• Sunset Elementary – 1510 W. Republic, north doors off of playground
• St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church – 215 S. Chicago, gym door entrance
• Kennedy Early Learning Center – 700 Jupiter, north double doors off Venus Street
• Church of the Cross – 1600 Rush, southeast door
• Salvation Army – 1137 N. Santa Fe, front door
• South High School – 730 E. Magnolia, west doors marked student entrance
The free lunches are for all children ages one through eighteen. Adults are welcome to eat for $3.60. Breakfast price for adults is $2.00.
Those who participate on Wednesday are encouraged to share photos and stories on social media, #yummysummer.