Older Adult, Learn Something New?
Joan Jerkovich - March 29, 2017 5:44 pm
I really want to learn to play the piano but I feel so overwhelmed. I’m middle aged and I’ve always heard, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”. I’ve wanted to play since I was a boy but life happened. Now that my 3 kids are off to college I feel like I finally have the time. My problem is just finding the courage to start something new. What would help me boost my confidence?
Yes, we’ve all heard that saying, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”, but I call that saying poppy-cock! Look at the celebrities and politicians in their 70’s and 80’s who regularly post on twitter! They’ve embraced a new technology that took them a while to learn! I think we need to look to the saying, “where there’s a will, there’s a way.”
5 Ways Adults Learn. What Adult Learners Have To Offer. Older Adult Competing With Youth For Jobs. Make Change At 50? LISTEN to these topics on “The Joan Jerkovich Show,” this Saturday from 6-7am; or Sunday from 9-10pm. Listen to 1150 KSAL as “Your Life Coach” brings you “Empowering Talk Radio!”
There is always a certain level of uncertainty when starting something new. It takes us out of our comfort zone. It can make us feel silly, or stupid, or inept, but those feelings just go with the territory. I guarantee you that you are feeling those things more inside yourself, than anyone is thinking that of you. In fact, others will admire you for learning to play the piano!
To boost your confidence try these things:
• Talk yourself up. Tell yourself you can do this.
• Get excited about getting to do something you’ve always wanted to do.
• Remember a time when you tried something new and succeeded.
• Just get started. Just do it.
• Face your fears head on.
• Build your confidence with small victories.
• Don’t let a lack of courage keep you from moving forward.
• Set small goals for learning piano.
• Reward yourself once you’ve met those goals.
Practice humility in knowing that we can’t all be good at all things and that even the most accomplished concert pianist, once upon a time, was a newbie at learning how to play piano! I want an invite to your first recital!
Embrace your Personal Power with Life Coaching~
• How will you talk yourself in to starting lessons?
• What have you learned through life about approaching new learning opportunities?
• What do you have to lose if you don’t give this a try?
Click HERE to anonymously send Joan your question!
Newly Available for Purchase: