Teen Remembered As “Friend To All”
KSAL Staff - May 8, 2015 5:21 am
A Salina teen who was shot and killed late Wednesday night is being fondly remembered, and mourned, by her family and friends.
17-year-old Allie Saum was shot and killed late Wednesday night in what turned out to be a case of mistaken identity.
Police said that the shooting was prompted by a fight earlier in the evening. A group of people went out to seek revenge. One of them mistakenly identified a male in a blue, Dodge pickup as being involved in the fight. He was not. Shots were fired at the truck as it drove eastbound in the 500 block of Russell. Saum was also in the truck, and was hit in the head. She later died at Salina Regional Health Center.
Family and friends that KSAL News spoke with are remembering the teen as a kind, caring, “friend to all.”
Allie was a junior at Salina South High School. Thursday was a somber day at the school.
Students at South gathered in the commons area at the beginning the day to remember Allie. Her death impacted rival Salina Central High School as well. The Mustang baseball team had planned to dedicate its game Thursday to Allie’s memory, and added her initials to their caps.
After school, a fund raising event was held at a convenience store for the Saum family, and later in the evening a vigil was held at the scene of the shooting.
Following the shooting Wednesday night, police vigorously worked the case throughout the night, and arrested 6 people who they say were involved in the shooting.
Those arrested include:
- 22-year-old Macio Palacio. Felony Murder. Unlawful Discharge of a Weapon.
- 19-year-old Jerome Forbes. Conspiracy to Commit Felony Murder. Conspiracy to Commit Criminal Discharge of a Firearm. Obstruction.
- 18-year-old Stephen Gentry. Conspiracy to Commit Felony Murder. Conspiracy to Commit Criminal Discharge of a Firearm. Obstruction.
- 17-year-old Andrew Woodring. Conspiracy to Commit Felony Murder. Conspiracy to Commit Criminal Discharge of a Firearm.
- 19-year-old Daniel Sims. Conspiracy to Commit Felony Murder. Conspiracy to Commit Criminal Discharge of a Firearm. Obstruction.
- 21-year-old Azucena Garcia-Ferniza. Felony Obstruction. Child Endangerment.