UDPATE: Altercation Leads to Shots Fired at K-State

UPDATE: 4:00 p.m., Thursday, May 9-

K-State Police have updated the public on the shooting situation which happened on the K-State campus in Manhattan on Thursday morning.

The school has released the following statement:
“The Kansas State University Police Department has concluded the primary investigation of shots that were fired around 11 a.m. at the KSU Foundation Building at Kimball and Denison avenues. There were no injuries and there is no ongoing threat.

According to K-State Police, the situation involved a dispute between individuals that appears to be unrelated to the Manhattan campus. The original contact between them occurred on the east side of Manhattan off campus and continued to the parking lot north of the KSU Foundation Building, where shots were fired. After the shooting, the victim, who is not a student, drove to Riley County Police Department to report the incident.

No suspect has been arrested but K-State Police and Riley County Police Department are continuing the investigation.

Any witnesses to the event should call K-State Police at 785-532-6412. Tips may also be sent to the silent witness website or through the Live Safe app. The Riley County Police Department can be reached at 785-537-2112.”

ORIGINAL: A portion of the Kansas State University campus in Manhattan temporarily shut down due to reports of shots fired on Thursday morning.

Students received text alerts from the school shortly after 11 a.m. on Thursday advising them of reports of shots fired at the K-State Foundation building at the intersection of Kimball and Dennison. The public was asked to stay away from the area.

Several agencies including the K-State Police Department, Riley County Police Department and Kansas Highway Patrol responded. After less than an hour, authorities declared the scene safe and allowed the workers in the Foundation building to go back to work after being in lockdown.

Authorities have not yet released their official finding or whether or not shots were even fired at this point. There are no injuries.