A friend of mine is a real social bug and gets invited to everything. I’m ok with that except that she always has to talk about all the parties and events she’s been to until it leaves me feeling left out and unpopular.
How can I get her to stop bragging about all the parties she’s been to?
No one likes to feel left out, but your friends’ behavior does sound juvenile. If she persists in talking about all the fun she’s having, try these things when this happens:
• Try changing the subject
• Talk to her privately to tell her how you feel
• Tell her you don’t want to hear about all the parties she’s gone to where you weren’t invited
• Consider minimizing the time you spend with her
• Ask yourself why not being invited to everything bothers you
• Get comfortable with your own social status
Most people instinctively take cues from others in conversation, but this person seems to lack basic social awareness. That, or she is so self-absorbed that she always has to be the center of attention.
Cherished friends are people we enjoy hanging out with, not those who leave us feeling upset. Consider making a change to this friendship, or making changes to get more involved in social events you enjoy. The power to make change is yours!
Embrace your Personal Power with Life Coaching~
• What does this friendship mean to you?
• How does this friendship fulfill you and make you happy?
• How does it make you feel unhappy?
• Are you willing to speak up for yourself and share how you feel?
• If you choose to remain silent, can you accept that this is just the way this friend is?
• How happy are you with your social calendar?
Friendships can change over the years. What do you do when a childhood friend no longer stays connected? Can you get back what you once had? How can you move forward and accept that your friendship has changed? Listen to The Joan Jerkovich Show this weekend as “Your Life Coach” explores the topic of CHANGING FRIENDSHIPS while bringing you “Empowering Talk Radio”!