The goal of a massive volunteer effort in Salina on Friday was to make sure all children have the tools they need when they head back to school in a few week. Based on attendance at the Saline County Back to School Fair it was mission accomplished. Thousands of parents, students, and volunteers gathered at Lakewood Middle School for the event.
Volunteers had 1,850 backpacks full of school supplies to distribute. But there was much more than that. There was also free school physicals, dental screenings, games, and prizes. McDonald’s provided apples for the event as well.
Events at the Back to School Fair included:
- 30+ booths featuring information on children/youth activities and family services
- Distribution of free basic school supplies to 1,800 Saline County K-12 registered students eligible for free/reduced school lunches
- Free student health screenings
- School and sports physicals conducted by health professionals
- Dental screenings and cavity prevention vitamins applied by health professionals
- Depression screenings conducted by Central Kansas Mental Health Center
The start of the new school year is just a couple of weeks away. Salina USD 305 Teachers return on August 8th. The first day of classes is August 14th.