My parents are traveling from out of state to visit me and I’ve been living with my boyfriend for the past 6 months. They don’t know we’ve been living together and my problem is that they would not approve. Not only will they not approve, I’m afraid they’d go ballistic if they found out! They’re planning to stay with me at the apartment. What are my options?
Put on your big girl panties, you’re going to need them for this one! Basically, you have two options:
1. Hide this from them
2. Tell them
The hard part is going to be deciding which to do, so let’s explore how to make this crucial decision. You know your parents and you know yourself. In true Life Coaching form, I will tackle this issue by asking you the questions. You, and only you, know what your decision needs to be.
The questions begin…
• What will be gained by sneaking around your truth?
• What could be gained by telling them?
• Is there a chance this could be a first step toward your parents growing to accept that you as an adult are making your own choices?
• How do you handle conflict with your parents?
• Are you more comfortable keeping the status quo or living your truth?
• Is this personal choice worth taking a stand against the morals of your parents?
• How might your parents handle this?
• Would telling them totally mess with their heads and screw up their vacation?
• Would telling them severely damage your relationship with them?
• What does your boyfriend think about this dilemma?
• Is he OK with being relegated to his buddies couch while they’re in town? (don’t forget to remove his toothbrush and men’s cologne from the bathroom)
…the questions could go on and on and I would love to have you (or anyone else in a similar situation) call my show to talk this through! As I often say, we learn from each other! Good Luck. I hope those big girl panties haven’t found their way to the back of your dresser drawer as the more often we tackle difficult issues, instead of avoiding them, the better we get at it.The Joan Jerkovich Show News Radio 1150 KSAL Saturdays @ 6:00 am CST Podcast posts to KSAL.com Mondays
Who is Joan? What is a Board Certified Life Coach? How do I call her show or send her a life coaching question? Find out @ Joan Jerkovich