YW Legacy Grants Awarded
KSAL Staff - May 24, 2016 2:48 pm
The Greater Salina Community has announced nine local projects received over $32,000 in grants through the YW Legacy Fund and the generosity of the Elden V. Miller Family Charitable Trust. The YW Legacy Fund supports initiatives that align with the mission of the former YWCA in Salina, making grants to organizations that support women, children and the eradication of racism.
The following projects received funding from the YW Legacy Fund:
- $5,000- Catholic Charities of Northern Kansas- Police Protective Custody (PPC) collaborative to prevent children taken into PPC from being transported outside of Saline County during the initial 72 hour waiting period
- $4,140- Child Care Aware of Kansas- Education scholarships for child care providers to help them meet their health and safety licensing requirements
- $2,500- Salina Adult Education Center, USD 305- Computers and technology for the Partners 4 Success classroom at K-State Polytechnic
- $2,500- Salina Housing Authority- Allied health occupation and education program for qualified Public Housing or Section 8 tenants
- $3,000- Saint Francis Community Services- Security camera for Clover House, a restorative residential service for girls who are victims of sexual trafficking and exploitation
- $1,021- Girl Scouts of Kansas Heartland- “It’s Your Story, Tell It,” a community based program at the Salina YMCA for girls from under-served and at-risk populations
- $2,700- Salina Juneteenth Celebration Committee- A speaker for Salina Juneteenth’s 10th Annual Celebration
The following projects received funding from the Elden V. Miller Family Charitable Trust through a partnership with the YW Legacy Fund:
- $8,000- Salina Adult Education Center, USD 305- Class tuition for Partners 4 Success, an eight week program that teaches basic life and employability skills
- $3,500- Heartland Programs, USD 305- Community Family Connections program for parents in poverty to encourage self-growth and better understanding of child development
YW Legacy Fund grants are accepted once a year. Applications for this fund will be available on the Foundation’s website in late November and due in January 2017. All other grant applications will be accepted throughout the year starting June 1. Grant deadlines and guidelines can be found on the Foundation’s website, www.gscf.org/grants.