Work with Ex?
Joan Jerkovich - June 27, 2014 7:00 am
My work situation involves being around my ex-boyfriend and working closely with him. We ended on bad terms, and it’s awkward to be around him. How do I relieve that tension?
It is reasonable to expect that you won’t relieve the tension. I know that’s not what you wanted to hear, but I’m sure that if I tried to give you some sure-fire way to make these awkward feelings go away you would know, in your psyche, that I was just spouting off some BS!
Falling in love is all about opening our hearts to let someone else in. When you do this, you place yourself in a position of being emotionally vulnerable. This vulnerability is the basis for the hurt of a breakup and the tension you now feel post-breakup. The fact that you can work at all with your Ex is a testament to your professionalism.
While at work, keep your focus on the task at hand; monitor your thoughts and try to keep them on work and off the relationship muck; don’t let on that being around him bothers you (even if it does).
If those things don’t help you can always show him up on the job, outperform him and go for the promotion so you can be his boss and fire his arse! Yeah!
Embrace your Personal Power with Life Coaching~
- What works to calm you in tense situations?
- How can you incorporate your self-calming methods in to your work situation?
- Do you feel the need to further process the hurt of this broken relationship?
- What has helped you heal from past broken relationships?
- What does “accept the things you cannot change” mean to you?
- Are there things you can do to help accept that healing a broken heart takes time?
Click HERE to anonymously send Joan your question!