Unattended Cooking Blamed for Deadly Liberal Apartment Fire
Associated Press - February 17, 2016 12:06 pm
Authorities say one person has died in an apartment fire in southwest Kansas.
The Hutchinson News reports that the fire started early Tuesday in Liberal in a four-unit building. Liberal Fire Department Chief Kelly Kirk says crews found a person sleeping inside a bedroom of a smoky apartment. The person suffered smoke inhalation and died about an hour later at a hospital.
The name of the victim wasn’t immediately released, pending notification of relatives.
Kirk says unattended cooking started the fire. The blaze was contained to the apartment and was extinguished in the kitchen area. The damage is estimated at $30,000.