Salina, KS

Now: 47 °F

Currently: Fair

Hi: 63 °F | Lo: 32 °F


Hi: 48 °F 

Lo: 26 °F


Hi: 53 °F 

Lo: 34 °F


Hi: 60 °F 

Lo: 31 °F


Hi: 47 °F 

Lo: 28 °F


Hi: 56 °F 

Lo: 30 °F

Careers at SRHC
Santa Stash 2017

KWU Rallies Past Bethel

Mike Hammett - October 26, 2013 9:09 pm

The Kansas Wesleyan football team picked up its second straight win and handed Bethel its 21st consecutive loss in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. But, it wasn’t easy for the Coyotes in a 38-34 win on Saturday at Salina Stadium.

Bethel opened the game with a 28-yard field goal by Maxwell Wren, going up 3-0.

After a couple of punts, it looked like the Coyotes were in position to take the lead. However, Taylor Sachs fumbled on his way into the end zone. Micheal Freeman recovered the fumble and returned it 100 yards for a Bethel touchdown. The Threshers failed on the two-point conversion attempt and led 9-0 mid-way through the first quarter.

KWU finally answered on the ensuing drive, as Terry Stecker hit a 47-yard field goal to pull the Coyotes within six at 9-3.

The Coyotes went in front when Taylor Sachs scored on a three-yard touchdown run and added the extra point, going up 10-9 early in the second quarter.

Wesleyan extended the lead just three-and-a-half minutes later, as Trey Dallas hit Zach McClain for a 19-yard touchdown pass, giving KWU a 17-9 lead.

Bethel answered on its next drive, moving 85 yards in 14 plays as Bo Pratt hit Stephen Scott for a 6-yard touchdown pass. The Threshers picked up the two-point conversion to tie the game at 17 at the half.

In the second half, Wesleyan took a quick 20-17 lead on Stecker’s second 47-yard field goal of the game.

Bethel would answer. It looked like the Threshers were three-and-out, but Bethel snapped the ball to upback Raul Silva, who then threw a short pass to Freeman. Freeman finished the play for a 68-yard touchdown, putting Bethel up 24-20.

The Threshers added a field goal on their next drive to push their lead to seven at 27-20.

The Coyotes would get the field goal back before the end of the third quarter, when Stecker booted through a 40-yard field goal to bring KWU back within 27-23.

Bethel added to the lead in the fourth quarter when Pratt scored on an eight-yard run to push the lead to 34-23 with 11:33 to play.

Then, the Coyotes rallied.

First, Kansas Wesleyan scored on a three-yard run by Dallas. The Coyotes picked up the two-point conversion on a halfback pass, as Sachs completed a pass to Joe Vela.

The teams would trade punts before the Coyote defense forced Bethel to stall near midfield with three minutes left. After a 13-yard punt, the Coyotes took over at their own 34 with 3:02 left.

The Coyotes converted a 4th and 13 from the 31 when Dallas hit Sachs for a 14-yard gain. Two plays later, a Bethel personal foul put the Coyotes in Bethel territory at the 40. Five plays later, with just 25 seconds left on the clock, Dallas hit Braxton Peck for a 10-yard score, putting the Coyotes up 38-34. It was Peck’s first career touchdown catch.

Bethel had one last chance, but Kelton Reed’s interception put the game away.

Sachs had a monster day for the Coyotes, carrying the ball 38 times for 189 yards and a touchdown. Dallas was 16-for-43 passing for 221 yards and two touchdowns. The Coyotes outgained Bethel 439 to 362.

The Coyotes improve to 3-5 overall, 2-4 in the KCAC. Bethel drops to 1-7 and 0-6 in the league. Wesleyan is at Ottawa on Saturday.

Upload MP3 and download MP3 using free MP3 hosting from Tindeck.