Salina Fieldhouse Opens Thursday
Todd Pittenger - July 12, 2017 4:15 pm
Salina Fieldhouse will come to life this week when it hosts its first ever events. The multi-million dollar facility opens on Thursday.
Salina Parks and Recreation Superintendent Travis Scheele tells KSAL News the Jeff Hawkins KU Basketball Camp will be held on Thursday. There will be two sessions of the basket camp, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
Following the basketball camps, a Salina Chamber of Commerce event will be held in the evening.
The next event at the fieldhouse will be on July 22nd and 23rd. A major Mid America Youth Basketball, or MAYB, tournament is scheduled. Salina Central High School Basketball Coach Doug Finch is organizing the MAYB tournament. The event, called the “Salina Downtown Showdown”, will have between 50 and 100 teams participating.
Scheele said that parks and recreation events that are currently going on, and are currently scattered throughout the community, will transfer to the new fieldhouse. Those programs include indoor adult volleyball, adult 3 on 3 basketball, and new high school 3 on 3 basketball program.
The fieldhouse includes:
- 45,000 sq. ft. of programmable multisport space and event use
- Wood, synthetic, and turf surfaces with bleacher seating
- Three hardwood basketball courts
- Three synthetic basketball courts
- Eight volleyball courts
- One regulation indoor soccer field or three 3v3 soccer fields
- Drop down batting cages and pitching tunnels
- A spacious entrance, lobby, and concession area
- Team gathering areas
- Adequate parking
- Beautiful landscaping with featured art elements
The turf surface will accommodate sports such as soccer, football, kickball, baseball, softball, and field hockey. The court surface will accommodate sports such as volleyball, futsal, dodge ball, cheer, and dance.