R U Drinking too Much?
Joan Jerkovich - October 14, 2013 7:35 am
We’ve all been to the party with the person who, after a few drinks, starts to get loud and obnoxious. They think they’re being cute and charming while the rest of us are simply hoping they don’t fall over or spill their drink on us. Whilst you are steering clear of them at the party have you wondered if they might have a drinking problem? They may, and here’s now you can tell.
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, NIAAA, 1 out of 4 drinkers who drink above these levels already have a problem with Alcohol dependence, commonly called “Alcoholism”, or Alcohol Abuse:
Men at risk for a drinking problem drink more than 4 drinks on any single day AND more than 14 drinks total per week.
Women at risk for a drinking problem drink more than 3 drinks on any single day AND more than 7 drinks total per week.
SIZE MATTERS! This test for problem drinking is based on a standard drink size which is a 12 oz. beer, 5 oz. glass of wine or 1.5 oz. “shot” of hard liquor.
Did the test scare you a little bit? Are you concerned you might have a drinking problem like my Life Coaching caller, Larry? If so, here are some ways to try and moderate your drinking before you have to throw in the towel and head to AA:
- Keep track of how many standard size drinks you have
- Preplan your drinking and budget how much you plan to drink
- Space your drinking with non-alcoholic drinks
- Pace yourself. You don’t have to match your buddies drink for drink. Larry had a good plan for this!
- Get some food in your stomach and eat while drinking
- Avoid your drinking triggers; the people, places and time of day you like to drink
- Handle your urges: talk yourself out of drinking; get active and put your mind on something else; do what you need to do to push through the urge to drink without grabbing the bottle
- Practice saying “No” to alcohol
- Know when to get help: If you’ve tried cutting down for 2-3 months with no change, it’s time to get help.
Good luck dudes and dudettes! May the force be with you! ~ Joan
**If you’d like to talk with Joan in person about your drinking, be a caller on her radio show. You can even use a fake name like “Larry” did!
Just one day left for your chance to win ZZTOP Tickets! Entries close Monday 10-14 at Midnight. The winner will be announced on KSAL.com Tuesday 10-15. Good luck!
For a chance to WIN TICKETS to the SOLD OUT ZZ TOP CONCERT click here → http://joanjerkovich.com
The Joan Jerkovich Show News Radio 1150 KSAL Saturdays @ 6:05 then 7:05 am Podcast posts to KSAL.com Mondays
Who is Joan? What is a Board Certified Life Coach? How do I call her show or send her a life coaching question? Find out @ http://joanjerkovich.com