Prosecutor: No Charges in Deadly Wichita Police Shooting
staff - April 9, 2016 7:16 am
A Wichita, Kansas, man has been sentenced to a year and a half in federal prison on prostitution-related charges connected to a sting operation targeting massage parlors.
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) – The top prosecutor in southern Kansas’ Sedgwick County says he plans no charges against a Wichita police officer who fatally shot a man during a confrontation last year.
District Attorney Marc Bennett says the investigation of John Paul Quintero’s January 2015 death found that the officer who shot him acted in self-defense.
Bennett says that officers responding to reported disturbance confronted an intoxicated 23-year-old Quintero, and that Quintero failed to fall when he initially was shot with a stun gun. Bennett says that Quintero didn’t comply with the officers’ demands, and that the officer who shot Quintero believed he was armed with a knife.
Authorities have said an autopsy showed Quintero had marijuana, alcohol and meth in his system.
Quintero’s family has filed a federal wrongful-death lawsuit.