No Charges Expected Against Officials in Bledsoe Case
Associated Press - January 19, 2016 8:21 am
A federal judge has dismissed part of a lawsuit filed by a former University of Kansas rower who says a Jayhawk football player sexually assaulted her in 2015.
Jefferson County Attorney Jason Belveal says he doesn’t expect to file charges against officials involved in an investigation that led to a man being wrongly convicted in the 1999 death of a 14-year-old Kansas girl.
Belveal says a former prosecutor, county sheriff and a Kansas Bureau of Investigation agent made mistakes while investigating the case of Floyd Bledsoe but he doesn’t believe the mistakes were intentional.
Bledsoe served more than 15 years in prison for the death of 14-year-old Zetta Camille Arfmann before his conviction was overturned and he was released from prison last year. His brother, Tom Bledsoe, admitted to the crime in notes he left before he committed suicide.
The KBI is re-examining the case but it’s unlikely to address the original investigation.
Associated Press information from: the Lawrence Journal-World