Man Dies From Burns Trying To Save Dogs
Todd Pittenger - May 7, 2014 11:58 am
KC fire departments in both cities court diversity
A man that was critically burned while trying to save two dogs from a house fire Wednesday in Salina has died. Police Captain Mike Sweeney tells KSAL News that 49-year-old Darrell Pattillo died at a Wichita hospital.
Salina Fire Marshall Roger Williams tells KSAL News that crews were called to the report of a fire at 150 Florida just before 11:00. There was heavy smoke, and flames coming from all sides of the house when first responders arrived.
According to Williams, one person was hurt. The victim was badly burned while saving a dog from inside the burning home. After getting the dog out, Pattillo wanted to go back in after a second dog that was still inside. First responders at the scene kept him from going back into the burning home.
Pattillo was transported by EMS to Salina Regional Health Center. He was then flown to a Wichita hospital in critical condition, where he later died.
The second dog was later found, deceased, under a bed in a back bedroom.
Williams says the fire started in a garage. It started in some wiring behind a freezer.