KWU Ready to Celebrate 130th Homecoming
KSAL Staff - September 21, 2016 6:57 pm
Kansas Wesleyan University is ready to celebrate its 130th homecoming this weekend.
According to the school, in celebration of its 130th anniversary, KWU invites the Salina community to a carnival this Friday. The carnival is part of 130th Anniversary Homecoming and Family Weekend, which is this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
The 130th Anniversary Carnival will be held on campus on Friday from 6–9 p.m. Guests can purchase wristbands for $10 that allow unlimited opportunities to experience a zip line, ride an electronic bull, and enjoy carnival-style rides, inflatable bounce houses, games, temporary tattoos, bungee jumping, a trackless train and a petting zoo. Unlimited food and drinks may be purchased for an additional $10 ($5 for children 12 and under). Ride and food wristbands can be purchased on site on Friday evening beginning at 6 p.m. The carnival will be similar to the one the university hosted during Homecoming Weekend 2013 to celebrate President Matt Thompson’s inauguration.
Claflin Avenue, from Highland Avenue to Fourth Street, and Santa Fe Avenue from Kirwin to Claflin Avenue will be closed beginning at 8 a.m. on Friday; they will reopen at midnight.
KWU also will host annual festivities throughout the weekend such as the Wesleyan Showcase Concert, Alumni Awards and the Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. The concert, sponsored by Nex-Tech Wireless, takes place on Saturday, September 24 at 1:30 p.m. in Sams Chapel, and features the KWU Choir, String Orchestra, Philharmonic Choir and Philharmonic Orchestra. Rebecca Copley will be the featured soloist. In celebration of alumni achievement and excellence, the Alumni Awards will be presented to three distinguished alumni in Fitzpatrick Auditorium at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, with an opening reception at 5 p.m. The Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will honor seven individuals and two teams, begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday in Muir Gymnasium.
Following Coyote Volleyball on Saturday (1 p.m.), the football festivities kickoff at 4 p.m. with a pre-game tailgate party that includes a KidsZone (bounce houses, face painting, games and more) on the main quad. A Mexican buffet, catered by Sodexo, is available for $8. The newly constructed Graves Family Sports Complex will be formally dedicated at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. Former governor Bill Graves ’76, and his sister Martha Graves Reese ’74, will be honored, along with those who contributed leadership gifts toward the project. Following the ceremony, in which Bill Graves will participate, Coyote football kicks off against Southwestern at 6 p.m. in a key KCAC matchup. Adults are $8, senior citizens and Military are $5, children 12 and under are $2. Guests can reserve a spot in the tailgating lot at www.kwu.edu/coyotes.
Former Miss Wesleyans will be recognized between the JV and varsity volleyball matches against Friends on Saturday in Mabee Arena. JV plays at 11:30 a.m. Varsity will play at 1 p.m. in an important match as the Coyotes look to make another KCAC championship run. One game ticket will grant admission to both volleyball matches.
For more information and to register for Homecoming and Family Weekend events, visit www.kwu.edu/homecoming2016 or contact Bryan McCullar at 785-833-4339. Below are highlighted events for this historic weekend.
- Class of 1966 Induction into the Golden W, Muir Gymnasium (Noon)
- Alumni Awards, Fitzpatrick Auditorium (5:30 p.m.) – See bios at kwu.edu/homecoming2016
Rex Buchanan ’75 (Alumni Achievement Award)
Nicole (Heptig) Dekat ’07 (Young Alumni Award)
Stan Razak ’73 (Alumni Service Award)
- 130th Anniversary Carnival (6–9 p.m.)
- Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, Muir Gymnasium (8 a.m.) – See bios at kwu.edu/homecoming2016
Tommy Abrado ’72, Baseball
Ascendra (Peters) Donald ’07, Women’s Basketball
Bruce Pinkall ’79, Football
Steve Sokolski ’73,Baseball
Rich Troiano ’73, Baseball
Blake Turner ’00, Men’s Basketball
Darla (Gadberry) Villalpando ’91, Women’s Basketball, Softball
1972 Baseball team
2004 Women’s Cross Country team
- All Alumni Meeting, hosted by Alumni Council Officers (10 a.m.)
- Alumni Flag Football, hosted by Patrick Shelton ’10 (11 a.m.)
- Miss Wesleyan Recognition (Noon) between JV Volleyball (11:30 a.m.) and Varsity Volleyball vs. Friends (1 p.m.)
- Wesleyan Showcase Concert, Sponsored by Nex-Tech Wireless (1:30 p.m.)
- Coyote Tailgate Party and KidsZone (4 p.m.)
- Graves Family Sports Complex Dedication Ceremony (5:30 p.m.)
- Football vs Southwestern (6 p.m.)
- Yotes on the Patio, Speakeasy – 2030 S. Ohio Street (9 p.m.)
- Church Service at St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church (10 a.m.)
- Church Service at University United Methodist Church featuring the Wesleyan Choir