Salina, KS

Now: 32 °

Currently: Cloudy

Hi: 63 ° | Lo: 33 °

Fireworks blamed for assisted living facility fire

KSAL StaffJuly 6, 2014

Improperly disposed of fireworks are blamed for at least three fires in Emporia, including one that destroyed an assisted living facility.

KVOE reports smoldering fireworks were stored in a plastic trash can that was rolled up against Sterling House on Friday night. The resulting fire destroyed most of the assisted living residence and displaced 21 residents

Firefighters were called to a house fire around 6 p.m. Saturday where fireworks put into a plastic trash can smoldered overnight and ignited some siding and a window sill.

That fire came at the heels of a similar fire elsewhere in the city where smoldering materials were not properly handled before damaging siding of a home and forcing firefighters to tear down a ceiling to make sure the fire was put out.

Copyright © Rocking M Media, 2017. All Rights Reserved. No part of this story may be reproduced without Rocking M Media’s express consent.

CATEGORIES :

COMMENTS

STAY IN TOUCH!

GET OUR APP!

LATEST POSTS

Jones Inaugurated as Beth...
December 15, 2017Comments
Salina Crime Stoppers 12-...
December 15, 2017Comments
Man Who Fought with Firef...
December 15, 2017Comments
Another Most Wanted Arres...
December 15, 2017Comments

LATEST TWEETS

Read all tweets
© 2007 - 2017