ksal.com

Salina, KS

Now: 83 °F

Currently: Fair

Hi: 83 °F | Lo: 77 °F

Saturday

Hi: 96 °F 

Lo: 74 °F

Sunday

Hi: 93 °F 

Lo: 71 °F

Monday

Hi: 91 °F 

Lo: 68 °F

Tuesday

Hi: 76 °F 

Lo: 58 °F

Wednesday

Hi: 72 °F 

Lo: 54 °F

Sankey Auto
Fe for a cure

UPDATE: Fire Damages Central Salina Home

KSAL Staff - January 4, 2017 6:16 pm

A fire badly damaged a Central Salina home early Wednesday evening. First responders were called at around 5:15 to the report of a house on fire at 622 S. 9th Street.

Salina Fire Marshal Roger Williams told KSAL News at the scene that there was an active fire on the upper level of the two-story home when the first crews arrived. There was heavy smoke and flames visible.

Williams says that firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to the back of the upper level of the home, which is a rental that is divided into several apartments. The origin of the fire was in apartment 3 on the upper level.

According to Williams, Bryan Walker was home in the top floor apartment with he and his fiancée Meagan Applegate’s baby when he discovered the fire. Walker and the baby both escaped without injury. Applegate was not home at the time. Pets, including a frog a snake and a cat were killed in the fire.

Residents in apartments on the main floor and basement also escaped without injury. Four cats in the basement also escaped..

Williams says that there is fire damage on the upper level, and smoke and water damage on the other levels.

Williams determined that the cause of the fire is clothes piled up against a gas powered wall heater.

The house is currently uninhabitable. A couple of the displaced residents are staying with friends, with the landlord Jim Ravenkamp, and a couple are being assisted by the Red Cross and staying in a hotel.

(click photos to enlarge)