ksal.com

Salina, KS

Now: 98 °F

Currently: Fair / Windy

Hi: 99 °F | Lo: 77 °F

Friday

Hi: 95 °F 

Lo: 73 °F

Saturday

Hi: 93 °F 

Lo: 70 °F

Sunday

Hi: 91 °F 

Lo: 66 °F

Monday

Hi: 77 °F 

Lo: 57 °F

Tuesday

Hi: 71 °F 

Lo: 54 °F

Careers at SRHC
Fe for a cure

Fire Badly Damages Salina Home

KSAL Staff - May 5, 2014 11:43 am

A fire badly damages a Salina home.

According to the Salina Fire Department, just before 4:00 Sunday afternoon, crews were dispatched to 1001 North 11th Street for a report of a house on fire. First responders found extensive fire showing from the single-story.

The fire proved difficult to contain due to a natural gas leak from a damaged gas meter caused by the fire. Fire crews were able to shut the gas supply off and contain the fire.

Westar electric responded to the scene and secured a downed energized power line, which was damaged by the fire.

It was reported by the homeowner that the fire originated from the backyard BBQ grill and extended to the rear of the home. The home had a connected breezeway to the garage from the house.

Fire investigations revealed that fire had spread from the BBQ grill to the rear of the home under an overhang and extended to numerous areas of the home, breezeway and garage.

The fire caused the outside gas meter to melt allowing natural gas to feed and enhance the fire. Due to the extensive damage to the gas meter, representatives from Kansas Gas responded to the scene and had to block the gas line in the alleyway. A neighboring home had minor heat and fire damage from the radiant heat of the fire.

A third alarm was called due to the extensive amount of fire damage and number of resources used during this incident. The third alarm brought back off-duty shift members to provide coverage for the city until the fire was extinguished and crews were released.

Representatives from the American Red Cross responded to the scene to provide assistance and refreshments to the residents and fire personnel due to the very warm climate and humidity.

The cause of this fire is listed as accidental. An exact dollar loss has yet to be determined.