Farmer Saves Machinery from Fire Damage
KSAL Staff - July 20, 2017 10:38 am
Photo courtesy Saline Co. Sheriff's Office
A hay bale that caught on fire blackened a portion of a field near Gypsum on Wednesday.
According to the Saline County Sheriff’s Office, a bearing inside a John Deer baler overheated and ignited a bale inside the machine in the 8800 block of S. Whitmore Road.
Ryan Nilson was able to eject the bale before the machinery caught on fire – the bale then ignited the grass.
Deputies say about 15 acres of hay was lost in the blaze.
Rural Fire District #1 arrived around 11:30am and put the fire out.
No one was injured.